Ready for spring? Well, we have plenty of warm weather activities waiting for you in Crawford County! The perfect location for creating your own adventure, whether for a day or more, pick one of our many events and build your itinerary around it to include welcoming back the rhododendrons plus shopping in our boutique districts or chilling at one of our renowned breweries. Read on to create your own springtime experience and check off that bucket list.
Here Comes the Sun
Sunshine and good times abound in Crawford County! You know spring has ‘sprung’ when you see our famous rhododendrons in bloom – or spend time in our historic green spaces and beautiful wildlife refuge. Welcome back warmer weather with open arms!
Be blown away by rhododendron season in Greendale Cemetery. Over 1000 rhododendron bushes create an explosion of color in this county gem – some 150+ years old!. Take an Insta or Snap-worthy shot with the colorful backdrop. These flowering plants in Crawford County’s Greendale Cemetery were planted as far back as 1875. Definitely worth the drive.
Established in 1959, the Erie Wildlife Refuge is the perfect spot for birding with more than 200 bird varieties. It was designated by the National Audubon Area as an Important Bird Area. Beautiful wetlands and forests help attract wildlife and is a great location to reconnect with nature!
Immerse yourself in the community through our centrally-located green spaces including Diamond Park in downtown Meadville which plays host to live music and pop-up vendor events in the warmer weather or Scheide Park in the heart of Titusville, also home to summer concerts!
Whatever Floats Your Boat
All aboard for fun and relaxation when you explore our lakes and rivers – whether it’s fishing, boating, hiking, or swimming – there’s plenty of ways to enjoy the water in Crawford County!
As the most biodiverse river in the state, French Creek has an interesting history that dates back to local Native Americans and includes George Washington’s travels. Today, you can grab a pole to catch walleye, northern pike, muskies, pickerel and more – with 88 species of fish — making it a rich historical and natural amenity. Not to mention it was just named PA’s 2022 River of the Year!
Woodcock Creek Lake & Dam is a great getaway to enjoy the spring air with a six-lane boat launch and beach areas. Picnic areas, a scenic overlook and Bossard Nature Trail provide a great way to connect with the lakeshore area!
Considered one of the largest natural lakes in the state, Canadohta Lake is a great place to get away with a variety of vacation rentals to make it easy to spend time near the water. A great place for boats, you can also fish year-round.
Conneaut Lake is the largest natural lake in the state of PA with cool places to swim including Fireman’s Beach. This beach also features The Sandbar concession stand for a beachside snack. Surrounded by adorable rentable cottages and homes, the lake allows for water activities including power boating and water skiing.
The Pymatuning Reservoir in Pymatuning State Park has more than 17,000 acres for recreational fun including boating, camping, kayaking, hiking, fishing and more. Plus feed the carp at Linesville Spillway — the second most popular tourist attraction in PA!
Cheers to Crawford County
Raise a glass to Crawford County – with multiple beverage choices to fill them. Spring is the perfect time to try something new such as mead, specialty coffee drinks or another Crawford County original! Whether you’re a coffee enthusiast, beer connoisseur, wine lover or have a more adventurous taste buds, there’s a beverage flavor just for you!
Coffee or tea? Whichever your preference, we have what you’re looking for! From Star Wars-inspired Boba Tea at JT’s Coffee and Tea Corner to customized creative coffee drinks at Vacavi Cafe, there are so many flavors to explore. Plus check out the Frozen Explosions made with peanut butter, caramel nut or double chocolate at Pampered Palate Café & Bistro or grab lunch with your iced coffee and tea drinks at Traveler’s Cafe.
Uncork and unwind! In Crawford County, delicious wines and beautiful scenery go hand-in-hand. With names inspired by the nearby lake and local heritage, Conneaut Cellars has the sweet Princess Snowater wine plus ciders such as Sparkling Perry or Meadville Rye Whiskey. Wilhelm Winery takes its inspiration from nearby Lake Wilhelm and offers wines like Sunrise Blush and Wilhelm Red and fruity flavors like Cranberry Splash. And put the sweetness level on overdrive at Blissful Meads meadery with selections such as Pomegranate or Black Currant for curbside or postal delivery.
So many beers, so little time. We have some of the best breweries in the region with amazing locations! Check out renowned Voodoo Brewery in Meadville at their flagship location; Orr’s Brewing, with its homage to the area’s oil drilling history with beer names like Crude Oil Stout; or try scenic Mortals Key Brewing Co. located near Pymatuning Lake with lovely outdoor seating. Riverside Brewing Company housed in a rustic barn in Cambridge Springs or Titusville Iron Works Tap House located in a former iron working building are favorites for their ambiance. All offer great craft beer along with other options such as mead, wine and, of course, delicious food!
Get Ready for Our Spring Events
Getting out and about has never been easier to do, especially with a great selection of Crawford County events from live music or theater, parades, shopping adventures, farmer markets and more!
- First Fridays in Meadville: An unique way to experience the shops of Meadville with later hours, specials, live music and more. A great weekend every month to visit our area to enjoy some extra fun!
- Sweets for the sweet tooth: Enjoy the sweet side of nature in mid-March with the 2022 Annual Maple Taste & Tour, visiting sugar houses throughout Crawford County to taste classic spring maple.
- Your Irish eyes will be smiling: Join in on the Annual Jack Curtin St. Patrick’s Day Parade & Celebration in downtown Meadville including costume prizes and live music and dance performances. Plus, sign up to participate in Judith’s Jig Memorial 5K.
- Faith, trust and a little pixie dust: Come on out and bring the family to watch a live performance of Peter Pan in the historic Academy Theatre, originally built in 1885, now in its 32nd consecutive year since its reopening. The show runs to the end of April for their 2022 season.
- A weekend favorite: Second Saturdays in Meadville are a great way to enjoy local foods, live music, family activities and fun! Plus shop local by supporting local artisans and farm vendors.
- Music and more: Live performances return like spring at our local restaurants, breweries and outdoor music venues. These include Davenport Fruit Farm Cidery & Winery; Julian’s Bar & Grill; Venango General Store; Voodoo Brewing Co.; Riverside Brewing Company; and Silver Shores Restaurant.
- Keeping it fresh: Explore farmer markets and visit farms throughout the county including Al’s Melons Farm Market & Greenhouse, Fairlamb Lavender Farms, Howles Maple Farms, Blooming Valley Farms and the Titusville Open Air Market. The fresh produce and beautiful plants make these destinations a must for spring.
Whether Rain or Shine, There’s So Much To Do
Come enjoy the spring weather and check something fun off your bucket list! See more details below to create the perfect itinerary. Enjoy spring break in Crawford County!