Crawford County’s 2021 Best Fall Bucket List
There’s so much to experience in Crawford County – especially in the fall. Residents will be the first to tell you how lovely the area is during this season. When the leaves change color, it starts one of the county’s prettiest seasons. It also means the fall adventures can begin! Whether you’re an outdoor traveler, a local shopping enthusiast or an art lover, there are so many fun fall activities to choose from. Don’t worry, we’ve compiled a list of all the best places to go for your next trip to Crawford County. Keep reading to choose your own fall adventure!
Find Your Zen At These Fall Foliage Spots
If you want to chase some spectacular fall views, Crawford County is home to some of the best. Take a picnic, go for a walk or grab your camera and see what the season has to offer at these fall foliage sights.
- Local gem Greendale Cemetery is a beautiful place to take a walk and pay your respects. Known for its rich history and lovely grounds, the Greendale cemetery is a must in the fall season.
- If you’re craving a connection with nature, visit the Erie National Wildlife Refuge. With four trails, there’s so much to discover! The refuge is also a National Audubon Society Important Bird Area, making it a must for birdwatchers.
- Also located in Meadville is Ernst Trail. The trail, which follows along French Creek, is a reclaimed railroad line and is part of the French Creek Recreational Trails. Home to nesting bald eagles and migrating waterfowl, this trail is a great family fall hiking spot.
- Everyone loves a waterfall, and you can find four of them at Oil Creek State Park. The park tells the story of a changing landscape with oil well sites in contrast with forested hillsides and clean streams. In the fall, the colorful rolling hills are a sight to behold.
Crawford County Is Full Of Fall Farm Fun
Nothing says fall quite like picking a plump pumpkin or taking a hayride through a field. Thankfully, Crawford County has both! The county’s agricultural roots make it the perfect destination for these favorite fall activities. With numerous orchards and farmer’s markets, you won’t want to miss out on apple picking, cider, pumpkins and hayrides. Check out our favorite places:
- In Meadville, you’ll find Heagy’s Orchard – a family-run and family-oriented farm with apples and cider. Choosing only the highest quality crops, Heagy’s Orchard will offer wonderful fall memories for your family.
- Davenport Fruit Farm, also in Meadville, is known for its fall season of apples and cider. Apple varieties include McIntosh, Honey Crisp, Cortland and more. They’ve been making fresh apple cider from their harvests since 2009, with each batch coming from their cider barn.
- Travel down the road and you’ll find yourself in Conneaut Lake, home to Al’s Melons Farm Market! Pick your own pumpkins, get lost in some corn mazes and take a wagon ride at this fun stop on your Crawford County fall tour.
- Which color mum is your favorite? Stop by Wind Dove Acres in Centerville to pick your favorite mum, with 12 colors and 600 mums available this year! They also offer pumpkins, gourds, Indian corn and corn stalks to decorate your home for the cozy season.
One-Of-A-Kind Shopping Opportunities
Fall is a great time for just-for-fun shopping or preparing for the holidays. Crawford County has many opportunities to find some local goods for gifting to your friends and family or keeping for yourself. With so many to choose from, we made a list of our favorite places to stop this fall.
- If you’re on the hunt for a new outfit, these local boutiques have lovely clothing selections for work and leisure alike.
- Looking for a nice gift for a friend or family member? Then these shops are the perfect stop to find nice trinkets to share.
- If you are looking for something new and different, these unique stores are a must on your shopping list.
- These markets offer local foods, crafts and more. Stop by to see what new items you can find!
Hunt For Vintage Keepsakes
As the days get chillier, there’s nothing better than browsing a cozy antique shop on a fall afternoon. Now, imagine the treasures you can discover in Crawford County’s many antique and thrift stores! Here’s a list of the best places to shop this fall:
Experience The Creative Side Of Crawford
Crawford County is passionate about the arts! There are many ways to appreciate (and sometimes participate) in the arts here, with art galleries, theatre and musical performances of all kinds. Check out this list of artistic musts this fall.
- Visit Meadville Fine Arts, LLC and French Creek Framing & Fine Art to view some beautiful artwork. Featuring local artists, these galleries exhibit local landscapes, flora and fauna, and much more on a variety of mediums.
- Meadville’s Academy Theatre offers live theatre, musicals and plays of all varieties. Falling leaves means falling curtains on performances that educate and entertain the whole family.
- A family-owned studio in Meadville, the Kilted Kiln gives you the chance to bring out your artistic side. With 120 bisqueware pieces and 60 colors available, all pieces are food, microwave, oven and dishwasher safe and ready for pickup 7 days after completion. Events, walk-ins and reservations are all encouraged!
- For another unique DIY experience, head over to the Chalk Shop on Chestnut Street in downtown Meadville. If you can dream it, you can chalk it! From wooden signs to pillow covers, the design combinations are endless. Be sure to book an appointment while you’re in town.
You Won’t Be-Leaf These Fall Events
Dropping pumpkins on cars? A clown jump scare? A train murder mystery? Fall is full of fun events for all interests!
- This year marks the 30th annual Pumpkin Fest in Conneaut Lake. The festival is a place to celebrate fall with good food, rides and dropping a giant pumpkin! From Oct. 8-10, bring the whole family to experience one of northwestern Pennsylvania’s biggest fall festivals.
- Crawford County’s Halloween parade in Meadville is the largest nighttime parade in Pennsylvania! To celebrate 54 years running, 2021’s theme is “Decades.” Don’t miss out on this great family activity on Oct. 30.
- Get geared up for Halloween with Conneaut Lake Park’s Ghost Lake 13 Levels of Fear. Not for the faint of heart, this local favorite offers two hours of your worst nightmares. And this year is their 13th birthday! Check out their Facebook page for updates.
- The Oil Creek & Titusville Railroad hosts some of Crawford County’s favorite fall events. From the Murder Mystery Dinners to a Fall Foliage Ride, there’s a lot to check out at this attraction. Get a taste of history and fall all in one place! Be sure to visit their Facebook page for updates on all fall events.
Fall In Love With Crawford County
With so many activities and events to pick from, you could spend days exploring! Be sure to check out Visit Crawford’s events page to stay up-to-date on the latest happenings in the county. We look forward to sharing a gourd time with you this season!